Friday, February 8, 2013

Fuck This Shit, I'm Lifting

I'm not sure I mentioned this in the previous 3 posts (by the way, sorry for not updating this piece of shit for over a year), but I have never, in my history as a thrower, been a lifter. Sure, I took Individual Fitness my last year of high school, but even then it was simple lifts like chest and leg press (I may have also been guilty of doing bicep curls). I also didn't understand the importance of protein, stretching, hydration, or even the difference between strength and power. On top of all that, I think the lifting only lasted a couple months, then I was done for the season because I wanted to compete at 100%. Fall of 2008 and 2009 had me lifting for 2-3 weeks, maybe less, so not much came from those stints. Aside from that, lifting really hasn't been a thing in my life.

Well now, I'm changing that. My good friend and now training partner Keeley and I are taking our lifts seriously and trying to get in 5 days a week, even though our work schedules don't always line up. She is an experienced lifter and I a novice. But I have been at a throwing plateau for long enough (3 years!), and I know only lifting can ever change this. So we're lifting hard.

Squats, deadlifts, bench press, incline bench, power cleans, shrugs, shoulder press, and rows are on the list, but we are also getting into cardio shape and doing core and kettle bell work twice a week. I have been trying my best not to be a pussy as I have been in the past, pushing myself to my limits every day and trying to bring the same mentality to the gym consistently, as difficult as that is. I'm not sure I've ever been so serious about anything... I guess I really just want to live up to my potential, especially because I had 8 years to do so and never bothered. I'm 24, but it isn't too late... No, actually this is just the beginning.

Not lifting was a mistake, but at least I know that now. I wish I could tell everyone who is doing the same thing I did to wise up and get with the program. You'll never know what you're capable of if you're always afraid. Push the envelope. Throw far godddammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment